If you have license plate numbers and need owners name to that license plate you can review the available searches however, you must have a legitimate ‘Drivers Privacy Protection Act’ (DPPA) purpose for your search.
There is no such thing as a public records license plate numbers search. You must hire a professional to obtain license plate information and you must provide a valid DPPA reason.
Your search must conform to a DPPA purpose as follows:
- For use by any requester, if the requester demonstrates it has obtained the written consent of the individual to whom the information pertains.
- For use by an employer or its agent or insurer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a commercial driver’s license that is required under the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 (49 U.S.C. App. 2710 et seq.)
- For use by any insurer or insurance support organization, or by a self-insured entity, or its agents, employees, or contractors, in connection with claims investigation activities, antifraud activities, rating or underwriting.
- For use by any government agency, including any court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or any private person or entity acting on behalf of a Federal, State, or local agency in carrying out its functions.
- For use in connection with matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft; motor vehicle emissions; motor vehicle product alterations, recalls, or advisories; performance monitoring of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts and dealers, motor vehicle market research activities, including survey research; and removal of non-owner records from the original owner records of motor vehicle manufacturers.
- For use in connection with any civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitral proceeding in any Federal, State, or local court or agency or before any self-regulatory body, including the service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and the execution or enforcement of judgments and orders, or pursuant to an order of a Federal, State, or local court.
- For use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles.
- For use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities.
If the reason you need to obtain the owners name from license plate numbers is listed above you can request the investigator review your case. Simply follow the links to more information below.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Noah Wieder is President and CEO of Intelligent eCommerce, Inc. and the founder of bestpeoplesearch.com. Bestpeoplesearch is a private investigtor portal and Information Retrieval Services web site where investigators offer searches to businesses and individuals with specific search needs.