Free People Search with Social Security Number

I see a lot of people requesting a free people search. Unfortunately, there’s really no such thing as a free people search with a social security number.

But don’t despair. I will reveal the truth about free people searches. No tricks. No schemes. And no sales pitch. Just information and explanations.

Are There any Free People Searches?

First, let me explain. There’s no way that someone can enter a social security number into a website and get the name or address of a person for free. Social security numbers serve as national ID numbers. And there are security issues surrounding the data:

  • Almost everyone you do business with (companies, medical, dental, credit, financial, businesses, and even private firms) request your social security number (tax identification number) when you do business with them. Even your employer needs your SSN for their records.
  • You are constantly giving out your SSN on all sorts of forms, employment applications, and much more. In some states, your SSN is or was used as a drivers license number and on a health insurance card as an identification number.
  • There are also many companies that collect, store, and warehouse all types of data. So, there’s a cost associated with data entry, security, data storage, encryption, administration, overhead, insurance, and many other business expenses. That’s the main reason you can’t get an effective free people search.

There’s also a lot of concern about identity theft. So, many states and businesses are changing the way they use and share SSN information.

If you could visit a website, enter in an SSN, and get back personal information about the social security number without any form of payment, then that website would have no idea who requests or obtains information. That would be bad.

SearchBug.com has a “know your customer” policy. We verbally verify every new customer registration. This means someone from our customer service team personally speaks to every new customer that registers an account with us. This is a time-consuming and expensive process. But, it’s the best way to ensure information and search requests are held to the strictest confidentiality and privacy.

Free Social Security Number Verification

Ok, back to free people search with social security number information. The only thing you can do for free with a social security is a free social security verification.

You simply enter the SSN into our free SSN verification tool. Then, we’ll tell you if the SSN is valid (the number has been issued according to the SSN high group chart from SSA.GOV). We’ll also tell you if the number is active (using SSN death records – SSDI). And, we’ll tell you which state issued the SSN (if the number is valid).

We’re proud to say that we’ve verified over 1,000,000 social security numbers for free, helping employers discover if an SSN has truly been issued. Validate social security numbers here: No charge SSN verification

70 replies
  1. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    1st this is not legal advice and should not be taken as such.
    But you should read the law about disclosing a Social Security Number.
    Try title 42 Sec.408 (a) (8)/
    According to this law if you provide people with a social security number of another person you just commited a felony. and any person who provides you with a third parties SSN may be doing the samme thing.
    If I was in your position I would “proceed with exteme caution.”

  2. Noah Wieder
    Noah Wieder says:


    That’s very interesting, I had never read that before, thank you. I’m no lawyer either, but the actual title 42 is call TITLE 42 – THE PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE.


    This would lead me to understand this to pertain only to the subchapter it references – meaning Federal Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance Benefits.

    Since we are using the SSA publicly available data on the highgroup table to verify if an SSN has been issued and also check the public death records to see if it’s reported deceased, I’m not sure how this title relates to free SSN verifications.

  3. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    I have been trying to find my son for 3 years. He was in the Navy for 5 years and never reupped. And then just fell of the face of the earth. i dont know where he is at or if hes alive or dead. We have moved 2 years ago and he doesnt have any info on where were at. I have been trying to find him by his SSN and i guess i committed a felony but its worth it if it leads me to him. Im a really worried mom and dont know what else to do.

  4. Kay
    Kay says:

    Doesn’t – or shouldn’t – the game change if you’re looking for a deceased family member? I found my late great-grandmother’s SSN in the Social Security Death Index and have been trying to use that information to find marital records or something else about her. I don’t think she’d be too worried about her identity being stolen.

  5. Noah Wieder
    Noah Wieder says:

    To Anonymous trying to find son…

    I really don’t think you committed a felony by trying to find your son. The previous post from from another anonymous user references a section of code that has deals with SSN benefits not locating a family member or debtor.

    If you would like professional help locating your son you should use this link to our current address search.

  6. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    Maybe the ad should say "FREE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER VERIFICATION" instead of "FREE PEOPLE SEACH WITH SOCIAL SECURITY NUMER" verifying the number I'm looking with didn't help me find this person for free.

  7. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:


    I am tring to find my husband who has decicded to go on the run to keep from giving me a divorce and paying child support. I have his social security number and driver's licenses number but really don't know were to start to locate him. He is using prepaid phones to keep from being traced and has taken a job driving a truck so he is always on the move. I have child support services helping with no luck i'm tring to find him myself. what is someone to do that is just ready to move on with my life but need help financially raising our 2 yr old son….Help

  8. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    Lost Princess…..

    email me at help_me_nail_him@yahoo.com

    I have had fairly good success in locating people such as your ex. It's a hobby so no charge involved. I just need a name, approx age or dob if you have it and last known location. If I don't find him, no harm done but who knows…..

    • vanessa
      vanessa says:

      My ex has taken my kids out of state without my permission or consent,i have a court order stating that due to me not having much money i am unable to locate him i have tried everything all i need is his address to move foward with my case i am trying to do everything my self and its so hard i know the state he is in but dont have the exact address i need help!

  9. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    I have been trying to find my father for about five years now. I havne't seen him in over twenty years and i'm 22 years old. I really want to find him but my lack of information and money make it difficult. I have old shild support papers that have his SSN and old address but nothing seems to matter.

  10. SSN expert
    SSN expert says:


    Unfortunately, you are right. There is no real "free" social security number search. But it's actually make sense – you really don't want your SSN to be given to everyone who wants it for free, right?

    • Brittney
      Brittney says:

      true, but there are times that people need to find someone for important situations. Although it shouldn’t be free or it could increase the kidnapping and murders that happen since people want revenge for something or someonee.

  11. SSN searcher
    SSN searcher says:

    It is possible to find an ssn owner for free. However, it is impossible to find that online. You may contact your local city hall with an SSN and last name, and find it's owner.

    All online records are available for free if offline.

    Hope that helps.

  12. Noah Wieder
    Noah Wieder says:

    SSN Searcher, I've been in this industry for over a decade and have never heard of getting SSN owner info from a City Hall.

    Don't waste your time at city hall. It's a wild goose chase and you'll never get owner infothi or address from an SSN at any city hall. If you've tried this, please post here, would love to hear the stories.

  13. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    my 2 children were kidnapped by their father and grandmother ten years ago and for the first two years i fought and fought and lost i have never been proven unfit nor havei ever met a social worker i have only had 1 speeding ticket my whole life but yet money talked and i walked my kidss were 2@4 yrs old and they just turned 11 @ 13 and i despratley want to find them because i recently found out that their dad isnt even around and the grandma passed away and the grandpa married immediatley after her passing and i just think if i can contact my children through e-mail or phone it would ensure them that they have me and never lost me is there anyway someone can help please

  14. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    I'm trying to find a family member. I only have a social. How do I find him.

  15. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    I am trying to find my childrens father athough we were living together for 11yrs and have 4 children together. we were never married. he has taken my children and I have not seen them in over 4yrs our oldest child is now 18 and I HAVE TRYED SEARCHING FOR HER ALSO BUT HAVE HAD NO LUCK. I HAVE MY CHILDRENS AND THE FATHERS SOCIAL SEC NUMBER. DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF A SITE THAT WONT WASTE ANYMORE TIME IN LOCATING HIM?

  16. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    I'm a 27 year old female. Very, very sick. I'm looking for my dad. My dad does not know that I'm very sick. My doctor said if medcaid don't pay for what I need, then I will die in less than a year. I want to find my dad so I can spend time and make peace with him before i die. I have his ss number, full name, date of birth, age, his last whereabouts. But I don't know how to begin to start looking for him. Please help.

  17. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

    please help my cuzin is in jail and his ex-girlfriend is the only one who can get him out i have her ssn but all these websites are wasting my time can you help me find one?

  18. gerald
    gerald says:

    i want to find my father. he is US marine, but don’t know if he is still now..
    i dont have any contact from him eversince. but i have his ssn, birth date, and some address, father and mother’s name..
    my pilipino mother gave it to me… im in the philippines and i dont have money and resources to find him.. i,ve been searching on the net but people finder servies are not free, i cant afford them..
    if someone could help me on my search please help me.. mail me geraldmendoza492@yahoo.com..


  19. arvin
    arvin says:

    hi i am a 17 year old boy who wants to find my father he lives in florida he abandon my mom and his 11 kids it has been very hard with out him but his ex would not allow him to have contact with us please i need his contact information i can not afford to pay the websites for information

  20. Brittney
    Brittney says:

    Well, Im a 16 year old trying to find my biological father. He left me when I was born and my mom doesnt care to help me. I just want answers. I know somethings are best not known, but I want to know. I am already in college so I know the risks im taking to try and find him. I know he was a bad person in the past, but people change. He might or might not have, but I wanna at least try. Can anyone give advice on what to do? Of course my mom wont pay to search him by website. I already asked, and I went to the police since I know them personally since a few are family friends, but they couldnt find anything. I just want to figure things out, any suggestions please?

  21. Lydia
    Lydia says:

    I want to find out if my biological father had more children other than the ones i know about. I have his ssn and I know he died 2 years ago pls I just wanna know my medical history because of my children…if there is any one out there that can hepl and not scam me pls contact me at my email: lovlyiravyn227@yahoo.com

  22. ashley hughes
    ashley hughes says:

    i would like to know a little information about my biological father and i have his social security number and mine if anyone knows how i can do that please email me at lil_hughes1215@yahoo.com

    • Noah
      Noah says:

      Hi Ashley,

      You would need to checkout our private investigator services for this type of request. Since SSN information can be mishandled it’s best to leave that type of work to professionals. If you head over to http://www.bestpeoplesearch.com our sister site you can click on the private investigator services and look under the SSN search category. Hope that helps.

  23. christine
    christine says:

    i cant find my daughter she is pregnant and her father has hiddin me from her

  24. Brianna lopez
    Brianna lopez says:

    My name is Brianna, im looking for my 2 year old daughters father. She has had a few serguries but she needs her father. It was a demestic relationship but I want him to be in her life, she is outgoing and a very beautiful, smart little girl. His name is Juan Pedro Molina Gonzalez. Last I knew of his where a bouts he was living in Omaha NE. In 2010 he may have got sent to Mexico.

  25. jamie
    jamie says:

    first I want to know how all of these sites get to say its “free” when its not…the most important part is I am looking for my sister who has been missing since june 2012 noone has heard from her…her nineteen year old daughter is devistated and really needs to know if shes ok..last time my niece saw her mom..her boyfriend and his brother were beating the crap out of her..we are scared shes dead..I found the last street she lived on in LA. but not the house number I have to pay for that part..do these people screaming FREE FREE FREE know they are decieving hurting people!!!!

  26. Nicole Tillman
    Nicole Tillman says:

    I am searching for my 10 yr old niece her mother took her 3 months ago and since then I havent seen or heard from her if anyone can help me find her mother please email me @nicoletillman54@yahoo.com Thank You

  27. rebecca cassell
    rebecca cassell says:

    My boyfriend’s mom has moved in with us(shes 86) and tried to get a Florida id, the name on her social security card does not match her id so she couldn’t get it. So we were told to get a birth certificate and a marriage license and come back….She has been using her middlename as her first name for 70 years and it seems like her birthname has dissapeared! She can not remember what city she was born in to obtain a birth certificate, she can not change her ssi card without a marriage license and cannot recall the city she got married in…with her “forgetfulness” this task has been a 3 month process trying to, I guess, find out who she is and where shes from, I could really use some help. Any advice anyone is willing to give to assist my search I’m all ears….

  28. hazel hopper
    hazel hopper says:

    Am looking for my brothe-in-law Robert Ray Mabe (Bobby). He wss placed in a nursing home about 5 yrs back and we can’t locate where he might be . The SS office said his SS is active and he is in a nursing home. But where? We want to go visit him.



  30. sandra knox
    sandra knox says:

    Hello I am looking for my daughters father his name is Charles Aurther Cooksey DOB 6-28-1958. Contact me threw my email ; sassyass 1101@hotmail.com…….She has been looking for her father for over 18 years now. trying to help mend her broken heart. I am her mother last knowen state he lived in was California..please if you can HELP me help her he has grandkids now and my daughter wants her father in her life. thank you

  31. Leonora Ribeiro
    Leonora Ribeiro says:

    I am looking for my son. His name is Andrew David Rose Jr., born 5/29/82, his last known address is 3206 14 1/2 Street, Austin, TX, 78721. Last known phone # 512-939-3409. If you can help me please contact me by email at leorib@aol.com

  32. Barak Yasharahla
    Barak Yasharahla says:

    my name is shawanna hamilton and I am looking for my uncle who has been missing since 1974 or 75 from brooklyn new york he was fifthteen years old and his name is leslie dummette not sure of the year he was born please contact me need help, my grandmother is old and I would like to know what happened to her son, my email is hamilton_shawanna@yahoo.com thank you

  33. michelle
    michelle says:

    I am looking for my sisters bonnie and beverly potter last seen in michigan. Please contact me, I would love to know you and so would our siblings!

  34. connie
    connie says:

    im trying to find my 2 boys joey 12-26-97
    and david 9-7-99 they was adopted by bonnie and ridgie carmichael in flordia in 2002 we was supost to be able to see them and write to them but they sent the letters back please help just would like to be part of thier lives and so would thier older half sister thank u connie e.

  35. Randy Reynolds
    Randy Reynolds says:

    I’m looking for my daughter she was adopted in 07 her name was changed from Gabriel Nichole Reynolds to lisa willis her birth date is 1 16 2004. If any info is found please call 9894727636

  36. Jasmine Ibelieveinus Outlaw-Ja
    Jasmine Ibelieveinus Outlaw-Ja says:


  37. Melinda
    Melinda says:

    When I contacted Ekaka, I was in a complete mess. My love life had gone completely down the drain, and it looked absolutely HOPELESS. If it hadn’t been for ekakaspelltemple@yahoo.com careful advice and his precious spells to relieve me of the negativity around me, I would have never been able to keep going, and I wouldn’t have a boyfriend, either. Now I do! He’s a guy I already knew from work, but had never “thought of him that way,” at least not until Ekaka cast his spell to show me the way. He is the best. He saved me!!

  38. allena elizabeth hodge
    allena elizabeth hodge says:

    i wanna look for my missing bro, i never had met him but my mom told me my dad has been looking for him since his real mom took him away from us.. 🙁

  39. peggie bellamy
    peggie bellamy says:

    I am looking for my son, I haven’t seen him in about 10 years. Please help me to find him!

  40. melissa vogt
    melissa vogt says:

    for all looking for a loved one I think I can help I’ve reunited my moms entire family and some other clients I don’t charge just need as much info that you can give ne name DOB if adopted state that it took place or last known adopted parents name etc. email me missyjin81@gmail.com hope to get some emails!

  41. Angel Burnham
    Angel Burnham says:

    I am looking for my Dad’s family. I have been searching for MANY years with little to go on and NO luck. Here’s all the info I have:
    * His name was Dennis Barraclough born 1-8-51
    * He past away in Sept of 1975 (Closed casket ceremony from what I’ve been told. Have been told he was in an accident while riding his motorcycle.)
    * He was a member of the Kingsmen M.C. (One of the NY Chapters)
    * Was in the Army
    * Wore a beard most of the time.
    * His parents owned the Double D Restaurant.
    Any and all help would mean the world to me.

  42. candyb2383@gmail.com
    candyb2383@gmail.com says:

    Ive been seaching for my father for years, I havent seen him since elementary, I have searched in jails and prisions amoughts, the two states ive known him being in which is CA and OH, and have gotten no where! I have also talked and got the last address known from an officer, and still have gotten no where. I have his SSN but not his birthdate, so if any buddy can help me reunite with my father, please let me know

  43. Virgie Christopherson
    Virgie Christopherson says:

    I have been looking for my father for years and I can’t afford to hire anyone to find him I know his ssn. and birthday and I can’t get the information from my mother because she just past away on Saturday November the 14th of 2015 the last time I saw him I was 12 years old.

  44. Lloyd Allan Dale
    Lloyd Allan Dale says:

    I am disabled due to a stroke. I am searching for the children of my real father who died in 2007. I know his entire name, DOB/DOD County he died in and I have his soc. sec. number. I want to see if I have any other siblings out there somewhere. I recently found my real brother by googling my info on the web and waiting. He responded because…over forty years ago, I had written him three letters which his parents never gave him. When they died, he found those letters in the effects and googled my name. I had put my personal information on the web because of the stroke. I didn’t want to die before I found my brother. We now have a relationship and are growing up together…I am 64 and he is 66. Looking for any other siblings I might have through my father.

  45. Dreamia
    Dreamia says:

    I’m wanting to get in touch with my daughter. I haven’t saw her since 2009 her name is jasmine Alexandria young but last name probably changed. I don’t know it. My name is dreamia. If any help let me know. Thanks

  46. thaliaayala
    thaliaayala says:

    Hello, i am trying to locate my two half
    sisters they were taken away
    From my mother at the age of 3&4
    They got adopted ever since we dont know
    Anything from them we have
    Their ssn nd birtcertificate we need help to reunite

  47. Amy
    Amy says:

    I’m looking for my son his name is David Wayne Estep jr. His birthday is 3-9-1998 he’s 18 now and I haven’t seen him since he was 3 yrs. Old I would love to find him I’m his bilogical mother I miss him can someone please help

  48. Linda Duvos-Blessing
    Linda Duvos-Blessing says:

    I am looking for my son. Tyler Elijah Corado. I’ve been searching for over 13 years. He is 19 years old now. Hes got blue eyes, brown hair. He was born Jan 1997 We lived in Simi Valley, Ca.
    His father Oskar Maurice Corado illegally got custody of him when he was 6. 3 years later he adopted him out thru CPS according to what we’ve just found out 5 days ago. They said you are in Ohio?? I’m his mother and miss him more than words can ever express. Tyler I have been trying for so long to find you. I cant even begin to imagine what you have felt all these years, thinking I didn’t want you … I LOVE YOU SO MUCH AND IVE ALWAYS WANTED YOU….Your dad kept u hidden then moved to Washington. Your brother Bronson misses you too. Baby I’m so sorry that your dad did this to you. Please call me 805.791.6513
    Linda Blessing

  49. Isabel De La Rosa
    Isabel De La Rosa says:

    Hi am looking for my son Harvey Tuttle for 6 years ive look and spend so much money on every website on my phone to find him. And not one can help me i cant afford to pay investigate im hoping and praying to find him i love u don and midsi g you mom

    • Jacob N
      Jacob N says:

      Hello Isabel,

      Thank you for your inquiry and comment. We would like to help you by offering some information about what kind search tools we can provide to you.

      SearchBug offers a Basic Assisted People Search and a Verified Current Address and Phone Search. With these search tools you will provide as much information as you can including a SSN. These searches are conducted by private investigators who research your requests as professionally licensed PI’s.

      Our Basic Assisted People Search is a good choice when you don’t have very much information on your subject or if your subject is not trying to hide intentionally or has not moved in a few years. The results typically include last reported and previous address history up to 10-15 years, landline phone number if available, and a death record search to rule that out. It is a good low cost solution if you don’t need a guaranteed, verified current address.

      Our Verified Current Address and Phone Search is a professional skip trace which is often used to find hard to locate individuals. If your wife is purposely trying not to be found (hiding from debt collectors, or is living somewhere “off the grid” this would be a better search. The results of this search if successful would include a current address and landline number (if available) that was verified by your assigned investigator.

      The details of the searches including how to order, results, pricing, and average turnaround time can be found by clicking these links:
      Basic Assisted People Search
      Verified Current Address and Phone Search.

      If you have any questions or concerns regarding assisted searches you can view all of the details at the links provided or you can give us a call at 800-990-2939 during our phone support hours M – F 7:00 am – 4:00 pm PST.

  50. Christina Colon
    Christina Colon says:

    Hi I’m looking for my two sons Isayah pabon and Johnathan pabon..I don’t kno there address now but I do have there father’s social security number. Isayahs d.o.b is 5/12/02 nd johnathans is 12/10/03..pleaseit’s been five yrs I really need to find them.. They have a sister that they have not met yet nd she is four.. they reside in the Bronx, NYC if you have any information please contact Mr at 9176812037

    • Jacob N
      Jacob N says:

      Hello Christina,

      Thank you for commenting. With the information that you have mentioned, there are a few options that Searchbug can assist you with in looking for your children and their father. A quick and affordable first step would be using our Free Basic People Search tool, which may help in finding additional information on the father.

      If our free services does not provide enough information for you, the next step would be to try our premium records membership. That service is only $9 for a week and you can do a lot of research on your own. If you prefer not to do the research yourself, or you’re unable to locate the necessary information needed, I’d suggest you take a look at some of our more popular Assisted People Searches. These are services performed by licensed investigators are typically have very good results.

      One of our most popular searches for locating difficult to find individuals is the Verified Current Address and Phone Search. When ordering this search please provide as much information as you can including the SSN that you currently have. The search is conducted by licensed private investigators which decades of experience in finding hard to locate people. This is a very thorough and detailed search that, when successful results in a current and verbally verified address of your subject. It might be best to try and locate their father since you have his SSN since the children are under 18 and would be much more difficult to locate as minors.

  51. Mariah
    Mariah says:

    I’m just sooo desperate to find my birth mom and dad! There isn’t a day I don’t think about them. I just want the missing piece of me to connect. I’m adopted and I don’t have ANY info about just MY ssn. Where do I go from here? Please I need help

    • JacobSB
      JacobSB says:

      Hello Mariah,

      If all you have to provide for a search to assist you in finding your birth parents is just your own social security number, it will not be enough to successfully pull up any information, unfortunately. Your own social security number is not in any way associated with your parents and could not be used for a search. We suggest contacting your adoption agency from which you were associated with for any further information that they could provide to you.

      Let us know if you have any further questions or if you do find any further information that may help to provide for a search and we’d be happy to assist you.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. […] you need to locate a persons employment using social security number due to a judgment or to garnish wages, you’ve come to the right […]

Comments are closed.